side note, one of the guys i work with brought in tons of squash from his garden. since i've been making my own baby food, i jumped on the chance to take some home. i had already turned one of the zucchini's into baby food the other day, and i still had two huge squash left. there was so much that i couldn't even make it all into baby food, so i grated up some of the zucchini to incorporate into my banana bread experiment.
|free and organic? sweet!|
i'm going to share the recipe, in case you care to recreate it:
[recipe adapted from food.com]
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
~1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
~3/4 cup grated zucchini (I think any amount between 1/2 cup to a full cup or so would work)
1/2 cup applesauce (I used a snack cup of applesauce, cuz I'm classy like that...it looked to be equal to about half a cup...)
4 tablespoons softened butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a big bowl
3. Mash the bananas in a separate bowl along with grated zucchini
4. Mix applesauce, butter, and vanilla in with the banana/zucchini
5. Add the wet (banana-y) mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. I just stirred it with a spatula (although the original recipe says to do it by hand).
6. I scooped the batter into cupcake liners (I have silicone liners, you can see in the picture), but you can put it in a bread pan too
7. Bake the cupcakes for 25-30 minutes (I did 28 mins and they were perfect).
[The original recipe had it in a bread pan and said to bake for 45 minutes]
and voila, delicious muffins! somehow i accidentally ate 5 right away. Josh even ate one and not only finished it, but said it was good! that's saying a lot, people. also, what other blog would have the word "constipated" and a recipe in the same post? ;) bon appetit!