Tuesday, November 17, 2009

how refreshing

we had a guest lecture today in my business class, and he was awesome. he was really down to earth, funny, and laid back. he did the whole lecture from a chair on the front row. the room is shaped like a semi-circle, so everyone could see him and stuff, so he was just chillin in his chair and talking to us. apparently he teaches the same class as the one im in, and i almost wish i had been in his class! he was a riot! although i am learning a lot right now, but i digress...

the guest lecturer said something that i really liked, and ive been thinking about ever since. he said: "youre only young once! live your life, and get more Cs in college! everyone needs to mellow out, this is not the real world!" i think it was sort of meant to be because i have been stressing myself out with school. i went to bed last night at 3am, and then woke up at 7:30 to run up to my 8am class. i over obsess about everything school-related, as in im not good enough and then stress out. your life is made of experiences, so have some!

he also made fun of this girl that was asking all these questions at the start of class (and then later left). he goes, "good grief, did you see that poor girl obsessing about an assignment in a pass/fail class!? its pass/fail! all these nerds at byu need to calm down!"

anyways, it was just refreshing to hear, especially at such a prestigious school like BYU. he was saying how jumping through all these hoops and doing busy work is a waste, and that is not the real world. so live your life and get more C's!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a fine line between doing well enough in school to get the job of your choice and passing the class with high anxiety and 100%. That's the beauty of life, to figure it all out. It's different for each of us. Good luck finding your balance. Love you!

Andhari said...

He's so cool. I need more professors in school like that. From the way they teach it's like they want us to be crazy by the time we graduate. Balance is awesome. :)

Honeybee said...

Cs do get degrees...and jobs in the REAL WORLD! Trust me, I know. I sometimes don't know how I lucked out so much in getting my dream job. I think it is because the Lord keeps sending me false Eternal Companions. :)

But I digress :). Have fun, try to learn not to get the perfect grade. BUT most of all eat ice cream!

Honey Bee said...

this is so insightful. I'd rather choose an episode of Lie to me than another hour of studying! :P