Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Nail art tutorial: Gradient nails

gradient nails
Gradient nails skittlette
 
First of all, sometimes people call these "ombre nails". But there is actually a distinction between gradient and ombre nails: ombre nails are when each nail is painted a different shade of the same color. Gradient nails are when the same nail is painted with different shades of any or the same color. Who knew, right?!

I made this tutorial for my nail instagram account, @jesspaintshernails, and figured I would post it here too!

gradient nail tutorial
Gradient nail art tutorial


 Materials needed:
-white nail polish
-2+ colored polishes for the gradient
-makeup sponge (I use the store brand)
-cuticle oil or scotch tape
-top coat

Instructions:
☆Paint your nail(s) white. Try to keep your cuticles clean (bc cleaning up white polish is the worst!), but it doesn't have to be perfect. Let it dry (I use the aid of a quick dry topcoat because who has time to wait for polish to dry?!).
☆Apply cuticle oil all around your nail to make cleanup easier. OR use scotch tape to tape off the skin around your nail. This step is important otherwise cleanup is super annoying and you'll never want to try this method again (speaking from experience here haha).
☆Apply polish on makeup sponge in the sequence you want. I usually use 3 colors for mine but you could use 2+.
☆Dab the sponge on your nail. Move it up and down and around a little while dabbing to blend the colors. This will create the gradient effect (vs just lines of colors). Depending on the colors you're using, you might have to repeat this step until you reach desired opacity.
☆Clean up around the nail using a brush and acetone. I use an e.l.f. concealer brush that costs $1 at Walmart/Target.
☆Optional: add designs or glitter on top 
☆Apply topcoat! I am a BIG fan of Glisten & Glow - HK Girl Top Coat. It's seriously amazing and dries freakishly fast with minimal to no polish shrinkage. 


What do you think? For first timers, was this helpful? If you give this a try I'd love to see the results, leave me a link in the comments, or tag me on instagram @jesspaintshernails!

No comments: