Monday, May 19, 2014

recipe: the perfect (and easy!) oatmeal raisin cookie

A few months ago I started craving oatmeal cookies. Particularly oatmeal chocolate chip, but I won't say no to raisins when I'm in the mood (plus, Josh likes the raisin ones better anyways). In my search for an EASY recipe without a billion ingredients, I found this one from Baker Bettie. Her recipe only has 6 ingredients, with additional options to add in if you feel like it. I tried it, and the cookies were pretty decent, but not perfect. But I saw promise... So I made a few tweaks and a couple batches later I had my PERFECT AND EASY oatmeal raisin/oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe. I make these all the time, and bring them to parties so I can impress my friends and trick them into thinking I am an amazing baker. Because seriously, they are that good!! And because I am the nicest person ever, I will share the recipe with you:

The Perfect Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Yield: ~18 cookies (depending on size, obvi)

Ingredients:
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 stick butter, softened (1/2 cup)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla (I just fill the cap and use that amount)
1 tsp baking powder
~1 tsp cinnamon (I just use a few generous shakes from the cinnamon shaker)
1 overflowing cup of half white/half wheat flour (if you want to be specific 1 cup + 2 TBSP flour)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips (or M&Ms, I use seasonal colored ones when I make these for holiday parties)

[NOTE: these ingredients are pretty flexible, this is just how I make mine. But if you aren't into dark brown sugar, change it to light brown or white. If you aren't into wheat flour, just use white. The original recipe says that the vanilla, baking powder, and cinnamon are optional. So if you don't have them, skip it!]

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine brown sugar and stick of butter until smooth and delicious. Feel free to sample said mixture, and realize it's your kryptonite.  (Oh, just me? Oops...!)
3. Add in egg, vanilla, baking powder, and cinnamon. Stir. Do not sample after this step, because...you know...salmonella (boo, hissss).
4. Add flour and stir. Add oats and stir. Add raisins or chocolate chips or M&Ms and stir. Once again, resist urge to sample... 
7. Form balls of dough and place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat (because I'm all about easy cleanup and no sticking cookies!). Gently flatten each ball.
8. Cook in the oven for ~18 minutes (note: the original recipe calls for something crazy like 9 minutes. At 9 minutes my cookies are still raw as a live cow. But it could just be my oven, so you may want to keep an eye on these the first time you make them! Check at about 10 mins).
9. STUFF YO FACE!!


You're welcome
Let me know if you make these, I'd love to know how you like them! :)

No comments: